DAY ONE | Understand Their Story
Read Philippians 2:12-18. Then focus on verses 12-13.
- What does Paul commend the Philippians for?
- What is Paul’s desire regarding their obedience?
- What is the command given by Paul?
- How does Paul describe the attitude/posture in which this command should be completed?
- Who actually provides the ability to complete this command? And for what purpose?
Pray today in supplication, asking God to empower you to remain obedient to Him.
DAY TWO | Understand Their Story
Read Philippians 2:12-18. Then focus on verses 14-18.
- Paul gets specific, giving examples of how the Philippians can work out their salvation.
- List the commands that you see in this text
- What is the reason that Paul says that they are to “do all things without grumbling or disputing”?
- Why is Paul concerned about the Philippians holding fast to the word of life?
Pray today in confession, reflecting on areas and relationships in your life in which you have allowed the sins of grumbling/disputing to win out.
DAY THREE | Connect to His Story
Read Philippians 2:12-18.
- Then focus on verses 12-13. As we learned on Day 1, it is God who empowers us to work out our salvation and obey.
These verses bring forth the concept of sanctification. Sanctification is the work of the Holy Spirit within us. The Spirit works within us to convict us of sin, and progressively make us more like Jesus in our beliefs and actions.
- Read Ephesians 2:7-10. What do these verses confirm about salvation?
- Read 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24. Who is responsible for the work of sanctification?
- Read 2 Peter 1:3-11. What do these verses add about God’s empowerment and human action?
Pray today in adoration, relishing in the reality that God works within us and empowers us to be molded to Christ’s image!
DAY FOUR | Connect to His Story
Read Philippians 2:12-18 again. Focus on verses 14-15.
In these verses, Paul draws a parallel between the Philippians’ obedience in a twisted culture to light shining in the dark.
- Read John 8:12.
- What does Jesus claim about himself?
- What does Jesus claim about those who follow him?
- Read Matthew 5:14-16
- How does Jesus describe his followers?
- What does Jesus command of his followers?
Pray today in Supplication, that through your obedience to Jesus you would shine as a light to the world, pointing to the true Light of the World!
DAY FIVE | Apply to your Story
Read Philippians 2:12-18 one final time. Take time to reflect on the implications for your own life today. Consider what you have learned that might lead you to praise God, repent of sin, and trust in his gracious promises.
- Reflect on your own obedience to Jesus. Are you consistent like the Philippians? What causes you to waver?
Pray in thanksgiving, remember that it is God who is working for you for his good pleasure!
- Reflect on your attitude and heart. In what ways do you try to justify or legitimize your grumbling and disputing? Is your light dim, flickering, or snuffed out?
Pray today in supplication, that you might be given a posture of thankfulness, contentment, and understanding of others.