Welcome Mark! The Northview Council of Elders is thrilled to announce that at the Tuesday, June 22nd Congregational Meeting, March Burch was overwhelmingly affirmed as the next Lead Pastor of Northview Community Church. With Mark moving into this position, along with his wife Karolyn, the Northview COE is confident that our congregation will continue to be lead by a man that loves Jesus Christ, is passionate about teaching from the Bible, is committed to the mission of planting healthy local churches and will work tirelessly to build a collaborative culture on staff. A group of staff and pastors that are committed to rich discipleship and reaching Abbotsford and ever church plant community with the life saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. We are so thankful that Mark’s desire is to take the baton from our much beloved Pastor Jeff and stay focused on our exciting mission to see gospel renewal in every church in Canada.
Lead Pastor Update – June 6th, 2021
On Sunday, June 6th Pastor Mark Burch and his wife Karolyn spent time sharing more about their journey as a couple, how God brought them to Northview, and Mark’s heart for the local church. You can watch the discussion above. Don’t forget about our Congregation Meeting on June 22nd, where our members will vote to affirm Pastor Mark as Northview’s next Lead Pastor.
Lead Pastor Discernment Committee Update – May 29th, 2021
The Lead Pastor Discernment Committee recently recommended Pastor Mark to be considered by the Council of Elders for the Lead Pastor role at Northview. Consequently, the Council of Elders have unanimously agreed to put Pastor Mark in front of our members at our upcoming Congregational Meeting for a vote of affirmation.
Lead Pastor Discernment Committee Update – May 20th, 2021
Recently, Pastor Jeff Bucknam announced to the congregation that he will be leaving Northview Community Church to take a Lead Pastor position at Harvest Bible Chapel in Chicago. At our Special Congregational Meeting, the elders announced that we will begin our Lead Pastor search immediately by starting to interview Pastor Mark Burch. Mark has been with Northview for two years as a part of our Senior Leadership Team, as our Executive Pastor of Multiplication.
1) The Lead Pastor Discernment Committee (LPDC) has met four times and have developed the 5 key areas we wanted the candidate (Mark Burch) to be assessed against. This is called this our scorecard and it captures what the COE believes are the most important areas for our Lead Pastor to excel in. This includes a focus on:
a. Top level, expository, Bible based preaching
b. A heart for healthy, local church multiplication
c. The ability to identify great young leaders and provide inspirational mentorship for Northview and the multiplication vision
d. Integral, Spirit filled living
e. Staff discipleship
2) Having identified Mark Burch as the internal candidate of choice, the LPDC has conducted more than 15, hour-long interviews with former pastors, staff, co-workers and elders from the three churches (Arnold MB, Willow Park MB, Maple Ridge Baptist) and church planting organization (C2C) that Mark has worked at prior to Northview. While we have certainly gotten to know Mark these past two years, we wanted to get a fulsome picture of him as a Lead Pastor.
3) The LPDC has answered dozens of emails, phone calls and in person questions from Northview congregants, pastors and staff in regards to the discernment process, questions for the LPDC to ask, and questions about the organizational structures within Northview. In addition, we have consulted with outside HR professionals around hiring church staff. We have sure appreciated the wisdom shared. Through this all, the entire COE has been praying for wisdom and weighed in with questions to the LPDC.
4) Mark Burch has had an initial in-person interview with the LPDC. We have also asked Mark to prepare a vision presentation for the LPDC and COE (first 90 days, first year, 3-5 year plan) that if he were discerned as the Lead Pastor, he would roll out.
5) We covet your prayers in the coming weeks as this discernment process continues.
At the same time, the Counsel Of Elders continues to work with Jeff to allow him to finish well. We have a team of people working on plans to celebrate God’s great work through him during his time at Northview. Please pray for Jeff as he balances the leadership needs of Northview with his impending leadership of Harvest.