Why Become a Member?
- Membership gives believers a sense of belonging (Hebrews 10:23-25).
- By becoming a member, you accept responsibility for a group of fellow believers and you yourself become accountable to mature brothers and sisters in Christ (Galatians 6:1-2, 10; Hebrews 13:17).
- Membership keeps us legal. The government recognizes churches if they have a credible membership and organization. Obedience to these laws affirms we are responsible citizens with a desire to serve (1 Timothy 3:2; 1 Peter 2:13-17).
How Do I Become a Member?
Before you can become a membership candidate there are a few prerequisites:
- Confession of Christ as your personal Saviour and Lord.
- Willingness to submit to the authority of Scripture, and to those placed in positions of spiritual authority.
- Baptism on confession of faith. We will not ask for proof of baptism but those baptized as infants, or before they were able to make an informed decision, will be required to be re-baptized.
- Where a person has previously been a member of another church a letter of transfer or similar evidence of good standing will be requested.
- We do not have an age restriction on becoming a member. However, according to our bylaws, you must be 19 years or older to vote at congregational meetings.
If you have any questions or concerns with regard to the above, please contact Pastor Dave Heidebrecht at email@example.com who would be happy to meet with you.
- Register for the course by completion of the Membership Application. Click the “Application” button below and complete our online application. Remember to mark your calendar. Hard copies of the membership application are also available at the church office during work hours and at the Welcome Centre / Info Booth on the weekends.
- Attend the Northview membership course. Our goal is for you, the prospective member, to understand in much more depth the how’s and why’s of our church and for us to have a much better opportunity to know you. We encourage you to make it to as many of the classes that you can and at the final Membership interview we will take some time to go over anything that you have missed. All that to say… you can miss a class and still become a member. Do your best to plan around these dates as you are able.
- Be Interviewed by an Elder or Pastor. During the last class you will be able to set up a membership interview between you (engaged or married couples can meet together) and either a pastor or an elder here at Northview. Interviews are held during the following weeks.
- Agreement with Northview’s Statement of Faith, Mission and Core Values. Please read these ahead of time as they will be discussed during the course and you will be asked to sign a copy of our Covenant during your interview.
Being accepted into Membership at Northview is based on ‘membership qualifications’ and by completion of the appropriate membership application. All members will have the opportunity to reaffirm their membership with Northview every two years.
Upcoming Membership Course:
To be announced.
Everyone is welcome to come to one or all of the classes without completing an application, even if you’re already a member. We just ask that you contact Janice at firstname.lastname@example.org first so we have enough room and materials for everyone.
If you would like to become a member fill out This Application.