Abbotsford – Nov 19, Romans 8:28-30
- Read Romans 8:18-31.
- According to this passage, what is the glory that is coming?
- Have you ever considered that your salvation is certain because of the Lord’s work? Why or why not?
- How would you describe the character of God? In light of this, do you find comfort in God’s character? How does this inform your understanding of God’s work in your salvation?
Abbotsford – Nov 12, Romans 8:18-27
- What comes to mind when you think of suffering?
- How have you experienced suffering in your life? Past or present?
- Read Genesis 1:26-30. This passage describes God’s original call on humanity to rule over all aspects of creation. Being made in the image of God means being rulers over all areas of life (arts, agriculture, academics, etc). What areas of life are you looking forward to experiencing in the fullness of resurrected life, and why?
- How does knowing what lies ahead change how you approach suffering?
Abbotsford – Oct 29, Romans 7:13-25
- If people disagree about the meaning of a passage of Scripture, how do you determine who is right? Does it matter? Is there a “right” answer?
- How do you reason through a passage of Scripture that is hotly debated among scholars and teachers? How do you know to whom you should listen? What kinds of reasons do you find especially compelling in these kinds of debates?
Abbotsford – Oct 15, Romans 7:7-12
- Read Genesis 3:8-12. Who does Adam blame for his sin? Why?
- Why do you think Paul raises the question in Romans 7:7? Why would someone conclude from what Paul has just written that God’s Law was a bad thing?
- Read Romans 7:7-8. Can you recall any experiences you have had where you were given a rule to follow (or gave a rule for others to follow) and the presence of the rule made you want to break that very rule? Why does this happen to us?
Abbotsford – Oct 8, Romans 7:1-6
- Should Christians desire to meet the requirements of the law? Why or why not?
- Regarding our belonging to Jesus, why is it significant that he has been raised from the dead? In what ways does his resurrection provide us hope?
- What is the result of our belonging to Jesus?
Abbotsford – Oct 1, Romans 6:15-23
- Can you give some examples of yourself or others who have understood following Jesus as being “free in Christ” to live however you please?
- In what ways do we struggle with the idea that we are slaves to sin or slaves to God? Why do we largely consider ourselves as “neutrals”?
- Why is it so hard to obey God? Does knowing that you are his slave help or hurt your obedience to him?
Abbotsford – September 24, Romans 6:1-14
- How do you feel when you witness Christians whose lives don’t match their professions of belief?
- How do you respond to W.H. Auden’s famous line, “I like to sin. God likes to forgive. Really the world is admirably arranged.”?
- Why is it important for us to understand that we have died with Jesus? Why is it important for us to understand that we will rise again with Jesus?
- What strategies do you employ to resist temptation to sin? Which work and which don’t?