Type of Group: Sermon Based Discussion
Day Of The Week: Thursday
Age Range: All Ages
Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Location: Atrium, Abbotsford Campus
Join us this summer for our multi-generational drop-in Community Group. Let us know your coming by clicking on the link below.
Abbotsford – March 25, Romans 4
- If you have been a believer for awhile, do you find that you have grown accustomed to God’s grace?
- What are some ways you can prevent familiarity with the Gospel turning into indifference to the Gospel?
- One common viewpoint for Jews in the 1st century regarding Abraham was that he was “reckoned righteous” because of his faithfulness in testing (1 Maccabees 2:52). How does this relate to Paul’s point in Romans 4:1-3?
Abbotsford – March 18, Genesis 22
- Have you ever been caught acting in a way that is contrary to what you said you would do? What happened? Were you embarrassed? (If you don’t want to share your own example, share one you witnessed in another. Just please leave names out).
- What is the worst test you can remember?
- How do you feel about the idea that God tests his people (Deuteronomy 13:1-4 or Genesis 22:1)? How is this different from tempting them, which the Bible says God doesn’t do (James 1:13-15)? What is God’s goal in his tests?
Abbotsford – March 11, Genesis 20:1-21:7
- Read Genesis 12:10-20 and then read Genesis 20:1-18. What is similar in these passages? What is different?
- Why do you think Abraham used the same tactic in Genesis 20 (calling his wife his sister) with Abimelech that he used with Pharaoh in Genesis 12? What was motivating him? Why didn’t he learn the lesson the first time around?
- What are some perpetual sins that Christians tend to struggle with? What advice would you give to those struggling with those sins regarding how to avoid them? Why do we struggle so much with committing the same sins over and over again?
Abbotsford – March 4, Genesis 18: 1-15
- Describe a situation when you trusted someone and it turned out to be a bad idea.
- What makes you trust someone and not trust another?
- In the story in Genesis 18:1-15, when do you think Abraham realizes that God himself is one of the people who has showed up at his tent?
Abbotsford – Feb 25, Genesis 19
- Philosophical Discussion with God (Gen 18:23-32)
- Do people have a problem with bad things happening to bad people? What about bad things happening to good people? In what ways do people question the goodness of God, whether the judge of all the earth will do right?
- Why do you think Abraham negotiated with God from 50 to 10 righteous people?
- What is the point of this philosophical discussion?
Abbotsford – Feb 18, Genesis 16
- Childlessness was a great travesty in the ancient world. Sarai and Abram were promised children, but they were having to wait for it to happen. Have you ever been in a situation when you have been waiting for God to act on your behalf, but you just kept waiting? Describe that situation.
- How did you cope in the waiting time?
- Did God finally come through?
- Was it in the way you expected him to?
- Was the outcome worse or better than you expected?
Abbotsford – Feb 4, Genesis 12
- How did Abe get it right? What did he do that was noteworthy?
- Read 2 Corinthians 1:20 which says that all God’s promises are fulfilled in Christ. What are some of the promises given in the old testament?
- How does it change our expectations of the life God gives us when we realize that the promises given to Old Testament characters are not given directly to us?